Friday, December 20, 2013

Surviving "Santa" Week

It's the longest week of the year!
I don't mean to be a Grinch, but oh man is the week before Christmas break long and tough all around! We spent a lot of time working on our mini penguin unit, being serious about math (so we could squeeze in an assessment before they left for break) and doing lots and lots of fun crafts!

 I'm linking up for 5 for Friday!

Check out my crazy week... the LONGEST week of the year!
"Santa" texted my students all week, reminding them how important it was to behave and follow directions since he was watching in the "Santa Cam"... Crazy about how many elaborate lies teachers (and parents) tell around Christmas, haha! My dad was kind enough to be "Santa" (the hubby can't text as much on his job) and the "Santa Cam" is the light sensor in the corner of my room.

We made these awesome snow flakes. It took a lot of cutting, a few trees worth of paper and about 3 days for all of the kiddos to finish, but they looked SO awesome :)

 Penguins...

 Penguins...


And more penguins...

We finished our mini penguin unit with a penguin K.W.L., Penguins Can/Have/Are, Beginning, middle and end (Tacky the Penguin), Penguin vocab and a fun penguin craft. We also did a fact flap book with our fifth grade buddies, but I don't have a picture of those. All the penguin printables were from Amy Lemon's Penguin Unit.
 
 Crafts...

...crafts...

 ... crafts...

did I mention, we love crafts?

Reindeer hats, penguin hates, sock snowmen and ornaments! The ornaments we made aren't exactly like this one, my kiddos wrote 2nd grade and the year and also were able to "bedazzle" their ornaments with sequins.

The sock snowmen didn't come out as perfect as the above picture... we donned them with googly eyes, because who doesn't love googly eyes. 

The reindeer hat was something one of my grade level partners had for a long time, the kiddos LOVED making them.

Finally, the penguin hat was of course from Amy Lemon's unit linked above.



The ho-ho-holidays! Getting  a little festive (2 different festive nail paintings this week & fun shirt!) oh and lights up all week and holiday table cloths for our party. Wish I would have taken pictures of them opening their book gifts, they were so cute and excited! Do you know what movie is on my promethean board?


Well that was my crazy, crazy week! I hope you all have a wonderfully Merry Christmas. I'm hoping to get a little blogging and some TPT work done over the vacation!

 
Teach Run photo ScreenShot2013-07-29at32149PM_zps10463e60.png

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE that Santa sent a text to your class. I'm seriously going to have to remember that next year!

    Mandy
    The 4th Grade Journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worked for my kiddos! One of my teammates had their husband send texts throughout the day after hearing "Santa" was texting my kiddos :)

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this post! Thanks so much for all the fun! Your class party looked so pretty. Lucky kids. Have a great, relaxing vacation.
    :) Shelley
    The Perks of Teaching Primary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I now have another blog to add to my "to read" list over the break :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...