Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Fairy Tales

Once Upon A Time...

My second to last ELA unit was by far my favorite! I was required to teach fairy tales, yay!

Focus Standards:

  • RL.2.2 Recount stories, including fables and folktales from diverse cultures and determine their central message, lesson or moral.
  • RL.2.9 Compare and contrast two or more versions of the same story (e.g., Cinderella stories) by different authors or from different cultures.
Introducing Fairy Tales:

Class discussion... what is a fairy tale? What fairy tales have we read? What makes a story a fairy tale?



Books we read:

3 Versions of the 3 Little Pigs...

 

Click for the 3 Little Pigs journal we used. I can't remember where I downloaded this from (if you're the author let me know so I can give you credit!) I made 2 addition copies of the describe the pigs/wolf and story map pages and put them together so the kiddos could describe all 3 stories. I also created this page and put it after the "describe" pages for the kiddos to complete if they had time after each story. You could also use this in the Cinderella journal below if you choose.

3 Versions of Cinderella...


Click for the Cinderella Journal we used.

3 Versions of Goldilocks and the Three Bears...

   

Click for the Goldilocks and the Three Bears Journal we used.

After We Read each story...



After we read all these fairy tales, we read The Stinky Cheeseman and Other Fairly Stupid Fairy Tales and talked about fractured fairy tales.
I did a lesson on creating our own fractured fairy tales.

We used a simple brainstorming web to think about what story we would like to create a new version of and how we would change it.

Students then completed a story map identifying who the characters would be, the setting, problem and solution.

Students also created a graphic organizer identifying what would happen first, next, then and last.

Students finally created a rough draft of their story.

When they were done with their rough draft, they conferenced with me and I helped them to edit their stories.

Finally they copied over their story with our corrections onto a final draft. They also had the opportunity to illustrate a cover page for their story.

The kiddos conferenced 2-5 minutes with me after completing each step, but our "editing" conferences took closer to 15 minutes for some students. Some of my kiddos loved this and finished in about a week. Others worked very hard to finish taking nearly 2 weeks. They were so proud of their final pieces!

You can grab my fractured fairy tale mini unit at my TPT store!



Our fairy tales bulletin board (combination of our journals and fractured fairy tales) & door decoration...


Happy Fairy Tale Reading (& Running)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...