Saturday, November 15, 2014

You Oughta Know November Blog Hop!

You Oughta Know About Door Decorations!
Welcome November's You Oughta Know Blog Hop hosted by Mrs. McCclain!

Today I will be sharing what You Oughta Know about Door Decorations (here's one I created for the beginning of the year this year)...


My first year of teaching, I only decorated my door 2 times... the beginning of the year and in June during our door decoration competition. Both doors took me quite a long time & as much as I LOVED having my door decorated, I had a million other things to do!



Each year more and more teachers in my building have AMAZING door decorations each month. The most amazing part is VERYYY rarely are any of the teachers decorating the door themselves (except of course for the start of the year). So how do we do it?!?...

Fabulous parents are SO willing to help out in the classroom especially when they can't volunteer during the school day.

So, during open house, we post sign ups that include door decoration months and 2 years in a row, almost every month got filled up!

Here are a few of my favorite doors from last year:

October - one of my kiddo's moms had all my students write their favorite candy on the candy corn cut outs. She also included their names on the bats!


March - One of last year's families LOVED St. Patrick's Day and created a VERY fun door for March!


June - my sister actually helped out with this one (I didn't have anyone sign up for June, which retrospectively made sense since we are only in school for half the month, so this year I combined May/June on the sign up). We had the kiddos create a fish or a turtle to decorate the door. My sister cleverly made tissue paper look like water & seaweed!


And after creating a welcome back door in August...


Here are the great doors this year's families have created for our class... October's door was designed by 2 of my kiddos, I also have a picture of the two of them looking very proud of their awesome creation:


November was created by one of the awesome moms after each kiddo wrote something they were thankful for on their heart. I think the turkey is just the cutest:


I can't wait to see what the other months have in store for my classroom door. The kiddos are always so excited (even if it is their mom or dad who designed it!) to see 'their' door design. The rest of the class always anxiously anticipates the new door, especially when they were asked to do something as a part of the door (i.e. the candy corn & Thanksgiving hearts).

It is amazing how much time is saved having families create the doors. Every single family told me they had fun decorating and they always love to know (or see) the kiddos' reactions. If you have families who would love to support your classroom but can't volunteer during the day, ask if they would be willing to decorate your door for the upcoming months!

What do you do to decorate your classroom door?
Be sure to check out all the other great posts on this blog hop, enjoy!




 photo ScreenShot2014-07-01at21352PM_zps1ea39d68.png

12 comments:

  1. What a great way to include parents who can't commit to school hour time! I know I would be happy to do this for my son's class since I can never get there during the school day.

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I will definitely be checking out your blog too!

      Delete
  2. These are adorable! Thanks for sharing these cute ideas!

    ~Erin
    Mrs. Beattie's Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish that I could be this creative! I would love to decorate my door, but I always fear that my kids or other kids would tear it up from entering and exiting the door. It's also awesome that you have so many parent volunteers that are willing to decorate the doors! :-)

    Jasmine
    Buzzing With Mrs. McClain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I always make sure MY kiddos know not to touch, but it is tough sometimes with other somewhat out of control hands. I haven't had a problem yet... fingers crossed it stays that way!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by & following! I can't wait to check out your blog :)

      Delete
  5. What a great Idea for parent involvement and school spirit! Thanks for sharing :)

    Mrs. Plemons' Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you SO much! I will be checking out your blog in the next day or so (I hope - we have conferences this week!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...